- 280g self raising flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 330ml warm milk
- 75g melted butter
- I tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar; then set aside.
- Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- Stir in the milk, butter and vanilla.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture; beat until blended.
- Ladle the batter into a preheated waffle iron.
- Cook the waffles until golden and crisp.
- Serve immediately.
3 Fruit Salad
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 pint blueberries
- 85g white sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 bananas
- Hull and quarter strawberries
- Mix the strawberries and blueberries together in a bowl
- Sprinkle with sugar and lemon juice, and toss lightly.
- Refrigerate until cold, at least 30 minutes.
- About 30 minutes before serving, cut the bananas into 3/4-inch thick slices, and toss with the berries.
- Serve alone or atop waffles
- 400g sausage meat
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 7 tbsp fine dried breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- Divide sausage into 6 equal portions.
- On a lightly breadcrumb-sprinkled surface, pat out each portion to about .25cm (1/8 in) thickness.
- Wrap portions completely around each of the hard boiled eggs, pressing edges together to seal.
- Dip sausage-coated eggs in beaten egg, then roll in breadcrumbs.
- Place on baking tray and bake in preheated 190 C / Gas mark 5 oven until lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
- 4 rashers streaky bacon
- 3 slices white bread
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Few thick slices chicken or turkey breast
- Small handful salad leaves
- Cucumber, sliced
- Heat grill to High and cook the bacon, turning halfway through, until crisp.
- Toast the bread and spread one slice with the mayo.
- Layer on the egg, tomato and bacon, then top with another slice of bread.
- Add the chicken or turkey, bacon, then lettuce and cucumber.
- Finish with the final slice of bread and cut to taste.
- Optional: secure with cocktail sticks and serve with kettle chips.
- Pour sushi rice into a bowl.
- Cover rice in water.
- Stir rice for a few minutes and pour out unclear water.
- Repeat till water is clear.
- Pour out water again and put rice into saucepan.
- Add 400ml of water and leave for 10 minutes.
- Boil rice.
- Close saucepan lid and swell for 10-12 minutes on low heat.
- Place kitchen towel between lid and pot and wait for rice to cool till lukewarm.
- Add rice vinegar, sugar and salt to small pan and boil.
- Allow to cool, this mixture is called Sushi-Zu 寿司、祖.
- Put rice into glass bowl and add Sushi-Zu, do not stir.
- Cover with damp towel.
- 1 cucumber キュウリ
- 1 packet of nori ノリ
- 250g sushi rice 米
- 2tbsp rice vinegar ビネガー
- 2tbsp sugar シュガー
- 1tsp salt 塩
- Wasabi ワサビ
- 2 boneless salmon fillets サーモン
- Cup of water 水
(Cucumber) MAKI マキ
(Salmon) NIGIRI にぎり
- Cut salmon fillets into 3x6cm thin slices.
- Moisten hands with vinegar water
- Take 1-2tbsp of rice and form small rice ball
- Place fish in palm of your hand
- Optional: add wasabi to fish
- Press rice and fish gently together
- Serve with fish facing upwards.
- Lay out bamboo rolling mat.
- Place (halved) nori leaf, smooth side down on mat.
- Cover nori with 1 cm thick sushi rice leaving 1cm gap at top.
- Optional: add wasabi.
- Slice cucumber to thin strips and place along sushi rice.
- Cover the remaining nori with water
- Roll everything up using the mat and apply pressure
- Trim ends of roll
- Cut in half and cut each half into three to finish with 6 equal pieces.
- 600ml double cream
- 250g caster sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 bowls
- 1st bowl: Whip egg whites until stiff.
- 2nd bowl: Whip cream with vanilla until stiff.
- 3rd bowl: Beat egg yolks with sugar until creamy.
- Add egg yolks mixture to cream mixture and beat again.
- Fold in egg whites and freeze in suitable container for one day.
- 1/2 pint boiling water
- 1/2 pint cold water
- Jelly cubes
- Cut cubes and place in large bowl
- Add 1/2 pint of boiling water
- Stir until dissolved
- Add 1/2 cold water, stir.
- Pour into suitable container and place in fridge until set.
Shot for Cakes and Lace, a Bristol based cupcake company / in collaboration with students from UWE